How to Start your Services

Step 1: Gather Information

There are three things you must have before you can begin setting up services

1. Proof of Current Driver’s Licence – provide proof of driver’s licence. 

Individuals must have a valid class 7L or N, Class 5 or higher driver’s licence. If an individual doesn’t have a valid licence – they must be eligible to obtain a Learners Permit, with Restriction 51 (REHAB ASSESSOR DUAL CONTROL) from RoadSafetyBC for the on-road portion of the evaluation. If you are eligible for a Learners Permit with a Restriction 51, you will have received a letter from RoadSafetBC stating that you are; you will be required to provide a copy of this letter prior to booking a FDE.

You will be required to send a copy of your valid driver’s licencing or Learners Permit to our office, 5 days prior to your FDE assessment in order to hold your spot.

If you have any questions regarding your licencing status or eligibility, please contact ICBC at 1-800-950-1498.

2. Funder Information – proof of approved funding for the assessment 

You must have an approved funding source for the Evaluation or Vehicle modification services. Possible funders include:

  • RoadSafetyBC – if you have received a letter from RoadSafetyBC indicating that a Functional Driving Evaluation (FDE) is required AND that RoadSafetyBC will reimburse you for the assessment fee.
  • ICBC – If the medical condition that may be negatively impacting your ability to drive was a result of a motor vehicle collision, you may have ICBC funding. Talk with your file handler to discuss your specific situation.
  • WorkSafeBC: If the medical condition that may be negatively impacting your ability to drive was a result of a workplace accident, you may have WorkSafeBC funding. Talk with your WorkSafeBC Case Manager to discuss your specific situation.
  • Other Third Party Funders/Insurance companies (could include Veteran’s Affairs, Desjardins)
  • Private Pay – You may choose to pay privately for the FDE. Contact our office at 250-542-3089 for current rates and payment methods.

If none of the above funding sources apply to you, but you have concerns about your ability to drive safely or I know that you require adaptive driving equipment such as hand controls – Consult with your doctor on your driving fitness.  Your doctor can advise you on next steps.


3. Doctor Contact Information – contact information for a doctor who can provide medical clearance for you to participate in the assessment.

You must provide contact information for a doctor who can fill out a form regarding your medical fitness to drive and to participate in the FDE.

Step 2: Contact Meridian Driver Services to obtain an Intake Form

Please email to request a form. Our Driver Services Liaison will email you a Driver Services Intake form within 1 business day.

Step 3: Fill in and Submit your Driver Services Intake Form

When you reach the end of your Driver Service Intake you will be cued to press a button to submit the form. Once your form is received, we will contact you within 2 business days to discuss next steps.